Wednesday 2 January 2013

SpongeBob Cushions


Christmas was getting nearer and I still hadn't decided on what to give the boys of the family. The girls were getting their bows and barrette holder. As I was searching the internet on what to give the boys I came across this lovely Cushion, this is when I decided to give sewing a try.  For my ONE and ONLY nephew I wanted to make him the cushion out of an angry birds cloth. I went to the fabric store to look for some angry birds fabric. NO LUCK!

 The fabric store didn't have much choices for boys, but it did have plenty of options for girls, as always. In the end after going over and over the fabrics I decided to go with a spongebob fabric, there were two SpongeBob designs; I was going to use both, one for the bias and one for the main cloth for one cushion. Then use the opposite for the other cushion, in total I wanted to make two cushions, one for my nephew and one for my 2 year old cousin. I purchased 1.5 yards of each fabric, one yard for the cushion and 1/2 yard for the bias. I was sure I needed only one yard for the cushions because thats what the instructions call for, I was not sure how much I would need for the bias. [ because i have never done it]  With Christmas only three days away these cushions need to be made by YESTERDAY! hehe I gathered all my materials and started. During the course of the day I managed to cut fabric and interfacing for one cushion. THATS ALL! WOW! The remainder of the day was spent with my 20 month old princess; we did a little Christmas shopping, and we visited uncle Dean. After getting Jazzi ( thats how we lovingly call her)  for bed at 7:30 pm I could finally dedicate my time to making the cushions.


 I went online and tried to find one of the easier tutorials on making Bias Tape. The Instructions for the cushions required 1/2" Bias tape so when making the bias tape I doubled the the width as per the instructions cutting 1" strips, take note that this is the 1st time I will use a sewing machine! I have seen one, seen one being used but never used one. After taking it out of its case and plugging it in I asked my mother-in-law to give me a BASIC run down on how to use it. she showed me how to thread it!  LOL!  I took a piece of fabric to do a little test run. I placed the fabric under the presser foot and pressed on the pedal. I sewed, I sewed, I had sewn my first straight line. IT FELT AWESOME! I placed two strips of fabric ( for the bias) WITH TRUE FACES TOGETHER, this took me a little while to figure out and worse that I didn't have very good light. ( I was sewing on the varandah) the true face was a bit difficult to see. I then sewed and sewed strips at ninety degrees diagonally as per the instructions. After ironing the bias it was time for some magic . I gathered the bias and 17" circles and said the magic words "Abracadabra!" to get 


 THIS!

 I wish it were that easy to sew! lol I started sewing the bias unto the 17" circle and to the handle strip to get the above picture. I continued to follow the instructions until I completed the cushions; these instructions are quite easy to follow and may I remind you that I was sewing for the FIRST time.

     Aren't they lovely? I felt so accomplished after completing the cushions and of-course proud of my work.  It was time to wrap them and put them under the Christmas tree until Christmas day. 

Merry Christmas! hope that your family has a most joyous holiday. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you and your sewing escapade, Turtle lady! :) These look so cute! Maybe my nephews will get cushions now. Never thought about that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great!! I want one too lol. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed u r a very adventurous mommy...i.love ur gift ideas...they are sooo.thoughtful. Someday this.auntie here will sew a.cushion.for her nieces and.nephew jaja!!! But for d meantime.let me.continue learning from ur blogs....post.more blogs :)

    ReplyDelete